Giro & Associates, LLC

Face Your Future With Confidence

What Happens if I Do Not Pay My Ex During a Divorce?

On Behalf of | Dec 23, 2022 | Divorce

Spouses may be ordered to pay considerable sums during and after a divorce. Spousal support payments can prove to be a real headache, and they continue for years or decades. The same applies to child support. Property division can seriously chip away at your wealth, leaving you without a house, a car, or a business. But what happens if you simply refuse to pay? Is this a viable strategy? How can your ex force you to hand over the money?

If you have questions such as these, you should consult with an experienced divorce attorney in New Jersey. These legal professionals can not only explain the various aspects of property division, child support, and spousal support, but they can also help you explore various strategies to limit these payments. With the right legal assistance, you can confidently approach your divorce while minimizing the financial impact of your separation. In the end, there are always better options than simply refusing to pay.

Your Wages Could be Garnished

If you refuse to pay spousal support or child support, your wages could eventually be garnished. This means that your support obligations will be taken straight out of your paycheck without your consent. Of course, this only really works if you are an employee. If you run a business or operate as a freelancer, there is nothing the court can do. In addition, it is worth pointing out that wages are only garnished if you have a track record of not paying your support obligations.

Your Licenses Could be Taken Away

If garnishing your wages does not work, the court may turn to more “creative” options. This might include suspending your driver’s license. The court does have the authority to do this under certain circumstances, and it can prove quite detrimental to your career and your general sense of independence. In addition, the court could potentially revoke other licenses, as well. For example, your license to practice medicine or law could be suspended until you pay your ex the appropriate sum. This can further limit your ability to earn an income.

You Could be Charged with a Crime

If all else fails, the court also has the authority to charge you with a crime. This is quite rare, but people are charged with contempt of court from time to time for violating a child support order.

Enlist the Help of a Qualified Attorney Today

If you have been searching the New Jersey area for a qualified, experienced divorce attorney, look no further than Giro, LLP, Attorneys at Law. Over the years, we have helped numerous spouses with a range of divorce-related legal issues. We know that facing years of payments to your ex can seem like a daunting or even humiliating prospect. But you are not in this fight alone. With our guidance, you can minimize these payments and explore a range of effective strategies to protect your financial well-being following a divorce. Book your consultation today to learn more.